Week 6: Marbled Coffee Liqueur Cupcakes with Espresso Buttercream Frosting


Cupcake challenge has been fun thus far, and then I have days like today! I have been enjoying trying to come up with a new flavor combination each week and perusing different cookbooks to see what ideas have already been made, what sounds good, etc.

I continue to be so impressed by other websites I have found or stumbled upon just googling cupcakes. I am inspired each time. Ordinary people, who just like me, are obsessed by these lovely little cakes! Even on a bad day, when a recipe does not go quite as planned - you can still eat the experiment - as evidenced below!

I tried the recipe again after cleaning up my mess from the first batch and poured myself a shot of one of the ingredients pictured below; care to take a guess which one? I think it worked out better the second time around. It also helped I did not fill the cupcake cups quite so full. Trial and error; it is the best way to learn. I love trying this cupcake challenge! I am looking forward to more tasty treats to come.

Best!


Marbled Coffee Liqueur Cupcakes

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
3 large eggs, seperated
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup coffee liqueur (Recommend Tia Maria)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

1. Preheat oven to 350° degrees.

2. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan and set aside.

3. In a large bowl cream together the butter, cocoa, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is light and creamy about 4 minutes.

4. Add egg yolks and beat another 4 minutes.

5. In a small bowl mix water and coffee liqueur.

6. In another large bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt.

7. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the liqueur mixture. Mix on medium speed until all the ingredients are combined.

8. With clean beaters and a large bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar to make a meringue.

9. With a rubber spatula, fold the meringue into the batter.

10. Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 22 minutes. Cupcakes are cooked when toothpick comes out clean from the center. Let cupcakes cool completely in the pan.


Espresso Buttercream Frosting

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. instant coffee granules
1 tsp freshly brewed espresso (or strong, hot coffee)
1 tsp milk, cream, water or coffee liqueur

1. Beat together the butter, salt and sugar until well combined.

2. Add vanilla and beat until frosting is smooth.

3. In a small bowl or cup mix together the coffee granules, hot coffee and milk (cream, water or coffee liqueur) until the granules are dissolved. Cool completely.

4. Add coffee mixture to butter mixture and beat until smooth.

5. Pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes and top with a coffee bean.

Comments

Yummy! Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait to see more from the Cupcakery! :)
Cakespy said…
This looks ridiculously yummy. I mean, even the title. Marbled. Coffee. Liqueur. Cupcakes. With. Buttercream. Frosting. *sigh*

Hey, I have to ask--where did you get the paper in the top pic!? It looks like wrapping paper from a company I used to work at! I am just curious ;-)
Wendy Joan said…
Cakespy; you are so cute! The cupcakes were very yummy! Thanks for asking about the paper. I actually got it at Michael's Craft Store in the "scrapbook" section with all the specialty papers. The pattern is called "Brooke Argyle" and is available on makingmemories.com if there is no Michael's near you; it is a nice thick cardstock.

Thanks for checking in! Best!
Colleen said…
Thanks again for an amazing blog! I've made the guinness, lemon, and now these cupcakes and they are all absolutely delicious!

I did have one quick question about this recipe: step 8 mentions to "Gradually add remaining sugar to make a meringue." I was wondering what remaining sugar? Was only part of the sugar supposed to go in in step 3? If so, how much? I'd already put in all of the 1 1/2 cups, so I went ahead and did 2 TB per egg (so 6 TB) to make the meringue a meringue, and that seems to have come out fine for my two dozen cupcakes.