(Photo from Cakespy, Cakespy)
My little guy decided the best thing to bring to his classroom Valentine's Day party today was (drumroll, please) cupcakes! I love it! I had all kinds of goodies for him to make the cupcakes with and we had so much fun making them together! I used a box cake mix but made the buttercream frosting from My Sweet & Saucy favorite buttercream frosting recipe; which is now MY favorite frosting recipe! Seriously, you have to try it. It is lovely! It calls for lemon juice which you do not usually expect in a buttercream frosting, but I must say, it is perfectly balanced and with just enough tang to balance the sweetness of the powdered sugar. I highly recommend this recipe and would love to hear what you think of it when you try it out.
My little guy was so proud this morning when he saw the "final" cupcakes wrapped up in pretty pink ribbons.
Happy Valentine's Day!
(Lots of cupcake goodies!)
1. Follow the directions on any flavor box mix.
2. We used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Fudge Marble.
3. Reynolds Wrap came out with some really great "Fun Shape" Baking Cups. My little guy chose the heart shape... perfect for Valentine's Day!
4. Bake the cupcakes(24) for 17 minutes at 350° degrees.
(My little guy with a tray of marbled heart cupcakes)
(Marbled heart cupcakes up close)
Pink Buttercream Frosting
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. whole milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter & salt for about 30 seconds.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and the milk to the butter and beat again until combined. Scrape down the bowl.
3. Add the remainder of the powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl again.
4. Beat on high speed for 5-6 minutes or until the frosting is fluffy. Add Wilton gel "Rose Petal Pink" in small amount to achieve pastel color.
5. It is preferable to use the frosting on the same day you make it, but it can keep in the refrigerator for 3 days if tightly wrapped. Make sure and stir the buttercream well before using to get the air bubbles out of the frosting and then pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.