Week 13: Cinnamon French Toast Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting


Hi friends! If I were to tell you I could eat breakfast all day ~ it should come as no surprise. I love breakfast foods. I love foods! But breakfast foods, oh yum! Pancakes, Belgian waffles, omelettes, crepes, muffins, french toast... which brings me to this weeks cupcake!

Cinnamon French Toast with Cream Cheese Frosting dusted with Cinnamon Sugar. I originally saw the French Toast cupcake on Bake & Destroy and was intrigued by the recipe. After a recent trip to Vermont I had plenty of pure maple syrup and decided to give the recipe a Cupcakery twist.

Seriously, breakfast foods IN A CUPCAKE! Yum! This cupcake should make you a believer! It is absolutely delicious. I live in the Hudson Valley in New York, where plenty of trees have been tapped for the maple season already in hopes to yield plenty of the tasty sweet syrup breakfast lovers (pancake, waffle, french toast) MUST have! I, personally, love maple syrup ~ it can be used so many ways and with so many things.

This is such a tasty cupcake and it got so many "ooohs" and "aaahs" at work. It is definitely a keeper.

Best!

French Toast Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. maple extract
1/2 cup milk

1. Preheat your oven to 350° degrees. Line muffin tin with baking liners.

2. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, and eggs until combined. Then add maple extract.

4. Alternate between whisking in flour mixture and milk into your liquid mixture. Make three additions of flour and two of milk. Beat until smooth.

5. Divide batter into prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and tops spring back when lightly touched.

6. Cool cupcakes for 10 minutes, remove from pan and allow to cool completely before frosting.

Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
Pinch of salt
1 tsp maple syrup
4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
cinnamon sugar, for dusting

1. Beat together cream cheese, butter and salt until creamy. Add maple syrup.

2. With mixer on low, add sugar 1/2 cup at a time until light and fluffy.

3. Increase mixer speed between additions.

4. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on cupcakes after piping frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes!

Comments

Stef said…
These sound like cupcakes I would love! I really love anything maple syrupy. I made a cupcake with maple cream cheese frosting a while back where I used maple extract. It was so strong that I smelled like maple for days - the best perfume ever!

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2007/06/orange-carrot-cupcakes-with-maple.html
Wendy Joan said…
Hi Stef - I am with you! Maple syrup is the best on anything! This recipe was an absolute hit - the frosting was so light and flavorful. I am going to check out your recipe for orange-carrot cupcakes, they sound so yummy. Thanks for stopping by! xoxo