Week 16: Spring Flowers: Vanilla Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream Frosting
Hi friends! This has been a busy week in The Cupcakery kitchen! Birthdays, Cupcake Challenge and an extra special event which I created a special cupcake for. I will post the "Sweet Caroline" cupcake tomorrow along with the story which will really touch your heart; just one more day, I promise! I predict you will love this cupcake and it really is worth the wait!
Below is a cupcake I brought in to work this morning. A Vanilla Cupcake with Almond Buttercream Frosting. From the first bite, your lips will be wanting more! The cupcake is very moist and the Almond Buttercream has just enough "zing" to make you think of creamy Pavlovas. They really are a dream and if you look closely at the pictures, I could float away on the clouds of fluffy frosting!
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with cupcake papers and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
4. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
6. Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
8. Cool the cupcakes for 15 minutes. Remove from the muffin pan and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Almond Buttercream Frosting
8 oz. (2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
5 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. whole milk
3 tsp. pure almond extract
2 Tbsp. plus plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and salt for about 30 seconds.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and the milk to the butter and beat again until combined. Scrape down the bowl.
3. Add the remainder of the powdered sugar, almond extract, and lemon juice. Beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl again.
4. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until the frosting is fluffy.
5. Continue beating on high speed for 3 minutes.
6. It is preferable to use the frosting on the same day you make it, but it can keep in the refrigerator for 3 days if tightly wrapped. Make sure and stir the buttercream well before using to get the air bubbles out of the frosting and then pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.