Week 15: Vanilla Cupcakes with Pink Lemonade Buttercream
Vanilla Cupcake Batter
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with cupcake papers and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
4. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat. Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
6. Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
8. Cool the cupcakes for 15 minutes in the tins. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Pink Lemonade Buttercream Frosting
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. whole milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and salt for about 30 seconds.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and the milk to the butter and beat again until combined. Scrape down the bowl.
3. Add the remainder of the powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl again.
4. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes or until the frosting is fluffy.
5. Continue beating on high speed for 3 minutes. Add "Red" food coloring in small amount to achieve desired pastel pink color.
6. It is preferable to use the frosting on the same day you make it, but it can keep in the refrigerator for 3 days if tightly wrapped. Make sure and stir the buttercream well before using to get the air bubbles out of the frosting and then pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.